Here at Dimitra’s Bridal, we believe that after finding your gown, alterations are most important in the whole wedding dress process. Bride’s go through so much time, work and emotion to find the perfect gown and if it doesn’t fit properly on the big day, then what’s the point? Each of our brides have their measurements taken, after saying “Yes to the dress!”. Their measurements are then sent to the designer with their gown order. Since our brides cannot be with the designers on a weekly basis, the designers will go strictly off of measurements when creating the gown. Then, our professional seamstresses come in to play.
What is a TBQ? TBQ is “To Be Quoted” at an alterations appointment once your dress arrives. The seamstress you are paired with will see what alterations you need and give you a price quote for it. Most always, it is standard alterations.
Standard alterations consist of a few steps:
- Hemming the gown to the correct length in regard to the bride’s heel height.
- Most wedding gowns have a long train which is hard to maneuver all night long. Therefore, the seamstress will create a bustle. A bustle consists of tiny, clear buttons at the back of the gown and threaded loops at the back of the dress. When the bride is ready to rid of her train, a bridesmaid or wedding dresser will connect the loops and buttons to create a beautiful draping that allows the hem of the dress to be the same length all the way around. She is now ready to dance the night away!
- There is almost always little tweaks that need to be made in order to make the gown fit absolutely perfect. The seamstress may need to adjust a strap, take in the bodice along the seams, adjust the bust area, etc.
- Once all the alterations are complete, the seamstress will press, stuff and pack the gown in a weather protected garment bag. The gown is now ready for pick-up!
At Dimitra’s Bridal, alterations is very important to our team. If needed, all team members are available to assist in the alteration process. The process can be anywhere from 6-8 weeks with about three fittings. The seamstresses and the team are there every step of the way!
When you have your very first fitting, don’t forgt the following:
- The shoes you will be wearing with your gown.
- The undergarments you plan to wear. We have learned with our brides that Spanx products work the best!
For any further questions, do not hesitate to contact the store or look at our most frequently asked questions, here!